Walter serves as a fiscal consultant on retainer for Head Start and EHS-CCP grantees in several regions. He has served as a contracted CFO for a Grantee for 12 years which grew from 360 to 1, 500 children being served in Head Start, Early Head Start, and EHS-CCP programs. Walter has implemented financial management systems which received “no findings” in three consecutive tri-ennial reviews. Walter is a retired founder and partner of a public accounting firm which performed hundreds of audits of Head Start Programs during his 22 year tenure.
CHIEF FINANCE OFFICER- 12 Years
- Contracted as Chief Finance Officer to develop strategic financial plan, helping client grow from $5 million to $18 million in grant revenue and secure $20 million tax credit financing for facilities.
- Implemented an internal control and monitoring plan to ensure compliance with federal financial management regulations in Cash Management, Procurement, Fixed Asset Inventory, Human Resources, Insurance, and Reporting. Resulted in three consecutive triennial Federal reviews with “No Findings”.
- Developed finance policies and procedures manual; implemented and integrated accounting and financial reporting system; provided project management for conversion of third-party payroll service to cloud-based human resource information system, including applicant and recruitment tracking, payroll, time and labor, employee self-service , manager-self- service modules (software as a service model -SAAS).
- Train governing boards in fiduciary and oversight responsibilities in acceptance of federal grants and served as liaison for non -profit organizations with external auditors and assisted in resolution of corrective action plans as applicable.
- Presenter and panelist at various nationwide seminars on Federal Grant management and compliance, including National Association of Community Action Programs, Regional and State Head Start Conferences in Atlanta, GA, Albany NY, San Juan, PR, Atlantic City, NJ and Jackson, MS, Daytona Beach, Fl.
PUBLIC ACCOUNTING and OMB A- 133 AUDITOR -22 years
- Co-founder/Former managing partner of New Jersey’s largest minority-owned firm with over 70 employees and offices in three states (New Jersey, New York, and Washington, DC ).
- Served as Engagement and/or Quality Review Partner for the firm’s major single audit and consulting engagements, including: Essex County College; City of Newark; Public Housing Authorities of Newark, East Orange, Trenton, and Paterson; Boards of Education of Newark, Plainfield, and Paterson; Charter Schools and major non-profit organizations serving Head Start and Child Care agencies.
- Negotiated joint venture agreements with Big 4 Firms and co-audited major government entities including City of New York, State of New York, New Jersey Transit, , and New York City Board of Education.
FAIRLEIGH DICKINSON UNIVERSITY – ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR OF ACCOUNTING – 3 years
- Taught introductory, intermediate, and advanced accounting, auditing, federal taxation courses to undergraduate and MBA students.
DELOITTE & TOUCHE-3 years – Senior Auditor and Tax Accountant
Wharton School, University Of Pennsylvania, M.B.A.
Morgan State University, B.S.